‘Black Thursday’ in Grand Haven – Special Video Report


News Editor Jerome Lawrence reports on the chaos and devastation from this week’s raging storm in Grand Haven and all across the Western Michigan area. Risking life and limb in pursuit of ‘the story’, Lawrence’s reporting at the Grand Haven State Park was cut short after being seriously injured in the fallout from a large wave hitting the pier.  After waking from an 18-hour coma, Jerome filed this report from his hospital room at North Ottawa Community Hospital. All of us at The Grand River Times wish him a speedy recovery. (Editor-in-Chief, Nov. 14, 2015)


Share Button

  4 comments for “‘Black Thursday’ in Grand Haven – Special Video Report

  1. Roger
    November 14, 2015 at 12:58 pm

    When law enforcement advises all those to avoid the piers and vicinity it also includes news reporters! I am sure other rescue workers lives were also put in jeopardy as well.
    We now have cameras with amazing zoom features.Let`s use them and save lives,cost of emergency equipment runs etc.

    • Andrea
      November 14, 2015 at 2:57 pm

      Apparently the wind shoved the stick farther up. Do you take everything The Onion reports on seriously as well?

      Chill. Atleast they actually took precautions and closed the pier this time. The public will do what they want, but in the past ten years the community has gone great lengths to avoid watching pier jumping idiots die.

    • Other Roger
      December 3, 2015 at 7:29 pm

      Get with it. This is called satire!

  2. November 15, 2015 at 1:47 pm

    NEWS UPDATE (Nov. 15): We are pleased to announce that our News Editor, Jerome Lawrence, has been released from North Ottawa Community Hospital. Jerome suffered a concussion and multiple contusions while covering Thursday’s big storm, and slipped into a coma while being air-lifted to N.O.C.H. from the Grand Haven State Park. On Friday morning Jerome regained consciousness, and by Friday evening had the strength to record the video report we published Saturday morning. He is now resting comfortably at home with his wife and children, and has expressed his thanks for all the support and well-wishes he’s received. Lawrence should be back to work and taking solid foods within a few days, and says he’ll be using that time to reflect on his experience, do research on near-death experiences, and maybe clean out the garage before winter arrives.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *