City of Grand Haven Defies Protesters With Bigger Cross on Dewey Hill

Grand-Haven-New-CrossAfter weeks of prevaricational indecisiveness over the fate of Dewey Hill’s controversial cross, the City of Grand Haven today answered critics and opponents of the cross with bold and defiant action in support of the cross and its future atop Dewey Hill. As the sun rose over Grand Haven this morning, local residents and merchants were treated to the sight of a new, larger cross on the Hill, along with several prominent nativity statues for the Christmas Season; all transported and erected during the night by city work crews who braved sub-freezing temperatures, lake-effect snow squalls and an un-heated Porta-Potty to create this publicly visible demonstration of the City’s response to allegations by protesters and legal groups arguing that the cross represents a Constitutional violation over separation of Church & State.

The City’s apparent decision to double-down on its efforts to defend its ownership and use of the cross was confirmed in a City Council Press Release this morning: “After a lengthy debate over whether the City should ‘double-down’ in its defense of the cross, or whether it should ‘go all-in’ for its defense of the cross, it was decided in a close vote that doubling-down would be more prudent and cost-effective at this time, and will leave room for the City to up the ante and go all-in at some future date, if necessary”. The Press Release goes on to explain how the new cross – over five times the size of its predecessor – is now guarded by a motion-tracking video surveillance perimeter installed and monitored through a partnership between Grand Haven Public Safety and Homeland Security. Violators of the newly-posted Security Warning signs around Dewey Hill will be treated as vandals by Public Safety and charged as enemy-combatants by Homeland Security.

In addition to measures defending the cross’s physical security, the City also announced the appointment of a legal ‘dream-team’ – led by the famed legal defense firm of Weinstein, Bernstein & Vanderklompen, headquartered in Hudsonville – who will argue for the City’s right to display Christian symbols in a town where the Christian-Majority is so large as to be nearly unanimous, anyway. Grand Haven City Councilwoman Natasha Kumonski, who handed-out copies of the City’s Press Release along with complimentary cider and donuts on a downtown street corner this morning, explained the City’s stepped-up efforts to preserve the cross. “We’re not forcing anyone to share our beliefs”, says Kumonski, “We even voted against a Resolution for making that mandatory last year. But I promised local voters two months ago that we would keep the cross up, and not only have we kept it up, but we’ve now made it five times bigger, too, and we’ll defend it in Court with every last penny at the City’s disposal.”

In celebration of the City’s moves to actively defend the cross, local activist group the Morally Indignant Liberty Foundation (MILF) will be hosting “Don’t Cross The Cross”, an open town-hall meeting and musical concert at the Community Center on Monday night. MILF has been a fierce defender of the Dewey Hill Cross since it came under attack several months ago, and MILF Director Floyd Lawson is thrilled by both the new cross and the giant nativity statues. “Even though the City didn’t take our suggestion to use red, white & blue swaddling clothing, I still got goosebumps and nearly wept when I looked up and saw that beautiful, 45-foot-long baby Jesus up there on the Hill”, said Lawson. “To see the City take such an aggressive stand for values of the right kind is cause for celebration, and we hope patriotic local residents will join us at the Community Center Monday night, where they can enjoy free food and music, and all proceeds from the sale of Don’t Cross The Cross t-shirts, mugs, calendars, posters and mousemats will go to the Dewey Hill Cross Legal Defense Fund.”

(Please be sure to ‘Like’ us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to stay abreast of new developments in this story, or other breaking news.)

Share Button

70 comments for “City of Grand Haven Defies Protesters With Bigger Cross on Dewey Hill

1. Mitch Kahle
    November 14, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Excellently done! Hilarious.

2. Jennie Russell
    November 14, 2014 at 12:59 pm

I’m Very Glad as a long time resident and Born there … So Proud of ya’ll !

3. November 14, 2014 at 1:37 pm

This is a huge statement in favor of the cross!! I just hope its for real!! I will have to go see it for myself!!

• OriginalFern
      November 17, 2014 at 1:17 am

Please let me know. By the way, on the Internet., MILF stands for ‘Mothers I’d Like to F***’, which I’ve always considered a highly offensive term, slang or not. I sincerely doubt no one in Grand Haven knows what that means. I left Michigan in terror because of the repressive, terroristic attitude there towards anyone different. No surprise if the majority in this City favors what it thinks is one faith and all the same dogma. Clearly they don’t even know that the point of separation of church and state is protecting the rights of those who are NOT in the majority, and providing them with a sense of community in the city they live in. Instead, whoever lives in Grand Haven and is on their way to, say, a Hanukkah event, a lovely wintertime celebration filled with light and hope, will just have to sigh when faced with an ever larger symbol which, for them, has meant suppression, inquisition and anything but hope. That cross is and always has been the central symbol of my faith, a faith where humility, self – sacrifice and servanthood are the only way to salvation and a grateful, healthy soul. I weep for the forgotten and the unwelcome, who in Western Michigan is anyone outside the mainstream.

• November 17, 2014 at 8:15 am

Wow – “Judge Not” as they say.

• gino schafer
        November 18, 2014 at 8:22 am

And we are glad you have left Michigan! People like you who are offended at anything and everything can never be happy. You are so sad.

Well, at least you’ve got hope and change … oops.

• kit kat
        December 29, 2014 at 7:16 pm

your sO stUPId…………Its A hoAX YOU dumm ass hill BILLY ……..GO bacK TO YOUR cave.

4. xenubarb
    November 14, 2014 at 1:48 pm

” I still got goosebumps and nearly wept when I looked up and saw that beautiful, 45-foot-long baby Jesus up there on the Hill…”

Meanwhile, I spit coffee all over my clean pants when I read this.

5. Marilyn Bales
    November 14, 2014 at 1:55 pm

AWESOME.

6. Teresa
    November 14, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Best story yet! Bravo!

7. Mitch Hedberg
    November 14, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Wow, Another waste of tax payer dollars. I hope the homeless and starving get allot of joy out of looking at that.

• Mean Gene
      November 14, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Michigan homeless are mostly that way because they choose to do nothing about it. I’ve worked around them for 15 years. I get to know them, do you?

• james
      November 14, 2014 at 6:22 pm

The homeless and the hungry could go get a job instead of wasting their’s and our time on the street corner begging…. Just sayin!

• Gary
        November 14, 2014 at 9:09 pm

In the true christian belief in loving your neighbor I’m sure that while you walked among them you learned their problems.Why they refuse to work are they mentally incapacitated due to illness,drugs or alcohol or is it refusal? You likely listened to them as they dinned at your table or when you let them bath in your tub before you took them to church.I seems obvious you are the epitome of human kindness as well as a genius.God bless you for all you do for these people may you receive your just reward for your words and deeds and find your self a better life some day.
        G.C.

• Lord Dark Helmet
      November 14, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Awright, off yer soapbox…get thyself to the local soup kitchen and help out. Invite a homeless person in to your home and care for them. Help him/her get a job. Pull up yer big boy britches and shaddup.

• Jean
        November 14, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Honestly, Grand Haven has excellent programs and shelters for the homeless. There are many fighting for the actual dewey cross who are also the ones helping feed and clothe the homeless out of their own pockets instead of expecting the taxpayers to do it, they call it charity work in the name of the real cross and the homeless are very thankful for it.

• David Seastrom
          November 15, 2014 at 6:21 am

Ottawa County has nothing in terms of helping the homeless. They have a county jail where they throw them in constantly. Holland is the only place that offers anything and it’s nothing. I live out in Grand Rapids and there are tons of options. Of course you may argue that Grand Rapids is bigger and has more money. However, the homeless population in Ottawa is very small. Also Ottawa has tons of churches and I hear people brag constantly about how much money is out that way. If the only the people weren’t so conservative or dutch with their money it would go a lot further in helping the homeless population. Also, I know several homeless people who don’t choose to be that way and many who have gotten on their feet with a little encouragement that cost nothing as they go through the various programs. I do understand how some feel that they choose to be that way, but many homeless individual suffer from mental and substance abuse among other problems which can be very difficult to overcome on their own. I’ve been homeless myself and have overcame it. Whenever I see someone in need or hear of someone that needs some help I’m more than happy in do something for them. I was fortunate enough to find my way and actually receive a very nice income. So it isn’t hard for me to buy them some food, or help them with cell phone bill so they can hear back from employers while job seeking. I do watch it if I do give them cash in case they just blow it, but anyone who lives in a lower income has some sort of vice or blows their money to forget their troubles.

• Souljer
            November 15, 2014 at 10:48 am

“Holland is the only place that offers anything and it’s nothing. ” ~ David

Actually David Holland has The Rescue Mission & the Woman’s shelter, it has the Salvation Army and Community Action House. You can get help thru the United Way and there’s City on a Hill nearby in Zeeland. Zeeland also has Fishers of Men (free food program). Habitat for Humanity is available to help with housing as well. I have a friend who’s a sort of social worker and helps parolees, refugees who often fall into the homeless/low income bracket and there are gov’t programs to help with groceries, get jobs, find housing, pay utilities, etc.

This list here isn’t even comprehensive. So, to say there’s nothing in Holland is ridiculous. When you say, “Ottawa County has nothing in terms of helping the homeless.” I don’t believe your nonsense for one minute!

• tom
            November 18, 2014 at 9:15 am

Your sir/ma’am are misinformed. Ottawa County is the most generous community in our state and has several services that exist solely to help those in trouble and teach them how to overcome. Those who chose not to accept this help do so primarily because they don’t want to be held accountable. I would be glad to get you the address and phone number for the director of the local mission if you’d like?

• tom
        November 18, 2014 at 9:10 am

What is your address, I will pick you up on the way!

• Nathan
      November 15, 2014 at 3:21 am

Yeah I just love how they said they wouldn’t spend every last cent on this stupid cross when they could be putting it towards things that would actually benefit people.

• Sheila
      November 15, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Mitch, you idiot!!

• Sheila
      November 15, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Mitch Hedberg, you idiot!! Wow!!!

• Erik
      November 15, 2014 at 1:05 pm

You people are ridiculous, how you don’t realize this is satire…

• caboom68@verizon.net
      November 16, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Waste of tax-payer dollars would be the turtle fence our ex-gov Jenny built… As for the homeless, McDonalds is always hiring…

• Wendy
      November 16, 2014 at 11:50 pm

Well Mitch, The last time I was through Grand Haven, there were not too many homeless or starving there and I know that there are a lot of resources that take care of them. What the city chooses to do do with their money is what their city council has been elected to oversee. They are doing what they feel is in the best interest of the city. This giant cross and Nativity is a tourist destination for a tourist town. They have the fountain all summer to bring the people to the fairly small city. This is a wonderful thing to bring them into the winter when historically there is not much happening there except cold and wind from the lake. So I say Bravo to the City of Grand Haven Michigan and I hope more cities follow suit.

8. Joy
    November 14, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Love it!!! Cross has been up there better part of my life, love it! The people who want it down need to leave town. Keep up the good fight City of Grand Haven! !!!

9. November 14, 2014 at 3:48 pm

i still think it is a little small. If your going to go big….GO BIG!

10. Roberto Deckerino
    November 14, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Eat a Dick heathens, the cross is here to stay.

• a heathen
      November 14, 2014 at 6:09 pm

You sir, sound like the ideal Christian. Keep up that “love thy neighbor” spirit!

• Infidel Heathen
      November 14, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Oh good one, I wonder if I can get HEATHEN on my license plate.

• NOT a heathen
        November 16, 2014 at 10:11 pm

ARE YOU KIDDING…. you are the reason that Christians have a bad name. I am ashamed of you. there isn’t a lot more to say.

11. jen
    November 14, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Ha, i support the town in keeping the cross…ive never even seen the cross displayed in the 16 years of living here…more offended by the foursome who are threatening the city with lawsuits. But, the article was funny…thanks for bringing laughter when it was needed. Peace to you!

12. Samantha
    November 14, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Bahahaha! All you people getting butt hurt on here crack me up! I hope you drove all the way there to huff and puff in dismay at the “BIG” cross. BAH! Ignorance never ceases to amaze me.

13. Bob
    November 14, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Hey! I think I see a Festivus pole in the background!!!!!!! Hahaha!

14. November 14, 2014 at 6:48 pm

In other news – plagiarism is Half – Off and Black Friday protests scheduled by The Rainbow / Push Coalition.

15. Shanna
    November 14, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Is this for real??
    If it is then keep up the good work GH!!! I’m so proud!!!
    I live in Florida now, but grew up there and still miss it after 35 years!

16. Rich
    November 14, 2014 at 7:51 pm

About time some town finally stands up against the complainers, if you don’t like go elsewhere it looks great, need to go down and see this.

• Infidel Heathen
      November 14, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Yeah Rich, I went down earlier to see it, looks even better in real life. I bet it is something to see all lit up at night.

17. Hannah
    November 14, 2014 at 8:01 pm

It’s clearly satire. Ugh. Come on, people. This is why aliens won’t talk to us.

• OriginalFern
      November 17, 2014 at 1:26 am

Hannah, I love you.

18. jen
    November 14, 2014 at 8:04 pm

@hannah- that is freaking hilarious

19. mike
    November 14, 2014 at 8:33 pm

So happy that GH didn’t bow down and remove it. Glad to finally see someone not only stand up, but even put it back in their face. Proud of the city of Grand Haven

20. November 14, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Glad the citizens fought for our/there beliefs. Its Grand Haven folks

21. Karen
    November 14, 2014 at 9:48 pm

*MILF*, really???? Wish this article was true, but alas…it was entertaining, tho .

• Constance
      November 15, 2014 at 9:29 am

Is it fake? It seemed fake, like the best satire from The Onion, but there are other news sources reporting this.
      Can someone verify if this is a true news story?
      Entertaining indeed!

22. mjtherose@gmail.com
    November 15, 2014 at 7:55 am

THIS makes me happier than I ever thought I could be over action by any Government. Praise God for Grand Haven.

23. TruckinMack
    November 15, 2014 at 9:36 am

Earlier this week on a Disqus.com website I posted that,
    ‘ The solution is for the GOP to pass a Federal law recognizing the US as a Judeo-Christian nation that welcomes all religions and people of faith. In this communities are indeed invited and even encouraged to celebrate the Jewish and Christian holidays.’

On FB I posted,
    Once communities put up any holiday display they wished to honor and help celebrate the people of their community. It was strictly voluntary (and cynically speaking, a crass appeal to their voting base).

This system worked well for nearly 200 years. Then the SCOTUS screwed everything up by making it both illegal for government officials to honor the religions of their communities, and mandatory that if they did any type of display for any group, they had to do a similar display for every group on earth that requested as much.

If there is anyone to really blame for this, it is the narcissist Supreme Court who decided that their interpretation of the Constitution trumped 200 years of tradition. The SCOTUS doesn’t always get things wrong, but when it does, (ahem, Obamacare) the damage will be felt for generations.

24. whatsup
    November 15, 2014 at 10:47 am

can anyone tell me why people can move somewhere that has a culture that has embraced something for as long as the place has existed, and expect the whole town, city or state to change because some people don’t agree with it. We see it happening with many issues including sharia law. If you don’t like what’s going on and it’s not harming anyone, then don’t move there. Go live somewhere that already embraces your beliefs and quite trying to to get everyone else to tolerate you when you have no intention of tolerating them.

25. C'mon People...
    November 15, 2014 at 12:07 pm

This is CLEARLY a satirical article…a 45 ft Jesus statue? Organization called MILF? A resolution to make believing in Christianity mandatory? Swaddling the baby Jesus in red, white, and blue? C’mon people…well written, but obviously fake. How blind are we?

• Laura Herzing
      November 15, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Way to go, Grand Haven. Thanks to all the efforts of the city workers. Looks beautiful!

• Lisa
      November 17, 2014 at 6:10 am

The 45 foot display is on the side of a hill, across a channel, so yes, it would need to be somewhat large to be able to see from a distance.

26. maurizio lo giudice
    November 15, 2014 at 5:22 pm

GOD bless you guys,and AMEN

27. kelly
    November 15, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Great job. So disappointed it’s not true.

28. Lee
    November 15, 2014 at 7:56 pm

I live in Grand Rapids, but have children in your area. I am very proud of the resolve of the City of. grand Haven..the objectors usually call thei religion “traditition” perhaps we should also call Christianity a tradition and that it is part of our culture. Perhaps that would settle the entire, stupid controversy. My hat is off to all who worked on this and may God bless you.

29. November 15, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Why is it the state can put a voting booth in a church, but you cannot display a Christian symbol on city,state or federal property. Seems like double standards to me. This happened in the last election.

30. Desiree Dempsey
    November 16, 2014 at 8:29 am

I am a Christian; however this kind of mentality is exactly what scares people that haven’t received Jesus. I hope Grand Haven enjoys their small victory, because they just handed their enemy their entire case. This article exacts majority against minority and our culture represents minorities.

31. Tommy Sawyer
    November 16, 2014 at 11:22 am

Omg… (plants palm on forehead) I can’t believe we let you people vote.

Congratulations on your fake victory to your false idol…

GeeZus h…

32. Suzette H
    November 16, 2014 at 11:33 am

Thank you to the City of Grand Haven. In thanks for what you have done my family will donate iti’s $400 that we ususally spend on gifts for each other to LOVE Inc to pay for 1/2 of a food truck.

Thank you Grand Haven. . . for bringing awareness.

33. Blue
    November 16, 2014 at 1:59 pm

I could not figure out if this was real or not – I have read articles from both sides of a non-existing situation? I am about to get in the car and check it out for myself 🙂 – I hope it is all in good fun. Love Grand Haven …

34. FromThe'Muth
    November 16, 2014 at 8:22 pm

These protestors tried to do the same thing in Frankenmuth a few years ago. They were offended by the cross on their shield that’s on the city flag, as well as the cross on the hill as you drive into town. HELLO! The town was founded by German Lutherans! It’s their history. These protestors weren’t even from the town and fought (with the ACLU’s help) to have it removed. WELL, the townfolk (as well as countryfolk from the outskirts) responded by placing white crosses in their front yards; even businesses did it! White crosses were EVERYWHERE. What a sign of solidarity for keeping the town’s historical roots reflected in it’s flag, as well as near it’s “Willkommen” sign as you enter town.

• The rest of the story
      November 16, 2014 at 9:57 pm

You forgot to share the part where the initial complaint was about two crosses on a bridge and the town removed them because their lawyer advised them that it did indeed violate the establishment clause. The second complaint about a cross on the towns crest was voluntarily withdrawn after everyone placed crosses in their yards.

I seriousely doubt Mitch would react the same way.

35. Scott
    November 17, 2014 at 5:45 am

These reactions are very telling. I find it disappointing that more people weigh in on this issue than would on subjects regarding real people who through no fault of their own really need some help. In this world, 1.7 billion people still live without electricity, 0.8 billion without access to clean water, 2,5 billion without adequate sanitation, and only 1 billion cars are in use for 7.3 billion people worldwide. Yet, this is the most important issue to many and they would believe this result is true. To me being a good Christian is more about the good one does for those who need help than the fanciness or size of the symbol worshipped. What the cross represents is far more important than the cross itself and I’m thinking Jesus would prefer something a lot more humble, Plus, Christians shouldn’t need a public reminder of what is supposedly in their hearts. Seeing the nature and beauty of Grand Haven should immediately cause one to praise God. Yet most buy products off from store shelves without giving a second thought to whether those who work to produce the raw materials or manufacture the product are given a decent living wage to enjoy the basic necessities we take for granted.

36. T
    November 17, 2014 at 8:47 am

That scene needs just one more thing: a bulldozer. I’m sure they’ll be sued shortly, as they should. It’s America people, and the Christian zeaots and their tools of control and intimidation need so take a step back. It’s simply not an appropriate use if public land or funds. They did this type of thing in Missouri, and the had to let the Church of Satan put a statue up at the state house. It’s just not acceptable in modern society.

37. Judith Leitner
    November 17, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Yes! Yes! Yes! How pleasing to the Lord!!! Keep on keepin’ on, praising His Name and when you have done all you can do, remain standing!!! The Cross, an angel and the American flag remained standing and unscathed by the fire from the Coast Guard fireworks a number of years ago. I have a picture of it. I was amazed and I remain amazed with what brave believers of Y’shua, of Grand Haven, have done and stood up against. Keep pressin’ in and the Lord bless you all!

38. Bonnie Kooistra
    November 18, 2014 at 8:20 am

You go Grand Haven!!! Glad to see our side is finally sticking up for ourselves. Too often we bow to the minority because they’re more vocal.

39. Steven Benson
    November 18, 2014 at 11:19 am

Some people don’t understand a well written piece of literature when they see it, so let me clear something up for all of you: this “news story” is satire… it is not true. I commend the author(s) for their creativity and wit, along with their biting sense of humor. If the Grand River Times actually pays their contributors, this person deserves a raise!

40. Sue
    November 19, 2014 at 12:15 pm

THANKS YOU, Grand Haven, for fighting for the CROSS! You are storing up your treasure in Heaven! Keep it up!!

41. Mark
    November 21, 2014 at 9:19 pm

All of these self-righteous comments are nice, yet the most important question that comes to mind after reading this story is when is the Grand River Times going to do a pictorial on the local members of the Morally Indignant Liberty Foundation? The world is waiting!

42. kit kat
    December 29, 2014 at 7:17 pm

iTs A HOax YOU stuPID hiLLL BILLYS.